Wednesday, February 25, 2004



Passion & Perspective...


I had- for me- something of a revelation a few days ago. I was reading the weblog of Reid Bradley, who was making an argument for sharing the Gospel. One thing came to me clearly in what he had written: this young man has a passion for evangelism! If there is one thing in his heart & mind, it is the neccesity of sharing the Gospel with as many people as he can.

Now that's a great passion. I suspect that Reid would have a hard time considering anything else to be more important. And, I suspect, he would look at me with a bit of doubt if I were to take issue with him.

Which got me thinking, because I do not have a passion for evangelism. I think it's important, but it's not what God has called me to.

MY passion is for the restoration of wounded Christians- those of us who have lost sight of our joy & peace. Those of us who have forgotten, or maybe never really knew, the truth about ourselves, and the truth about the Goodness of God. Those of us that are wondering what Jesus was talking about when He spoke of abundant life.

And I know from experience that I have a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't feel the way I do. "Why can't Ya'll see the pain in all those hearts? And obviously anybody not acknowledging their pain is hiding behind a mask..."

Ok. That was my passion speaking. And sometimes I can't see past the end of it. Sometimes my passion lacks perspective. Yes, there are a lot of wounded & hurting brothers & sisters in the world. And yes, God has called some of us to minister to them. But not all of us. And I have to remember that not everybody is going to share my passion- there may even be some that think there's something wrong with me, because they can't see past the end of their passion.

And that's got to be ok, too. Because it's not my job to make you, or me, into anything different from what we are. It's God's job to change who He wants, the way He wants, when He wants.

By the way, DO you know who and what you are? Do you believe it?