Thursday, February 26, 2004



The Passion of the Christ...


I have been very interested over the past months to see the wide range of reactions to this movie, mostly from people who haven't seen it, mostly from people that I wouldn't have thought were Christians.

This morning I read a review- more of an opinion actually- from someone I generally respect concerning movies, but who I would not have guessed might be a Christian. Now, I wonder.

I highly recommend reading the review by Roger Ebert in the online edition of the Chicago Sun-Times, if only for this bit- "The libel that the Jews "killed Christ" involves a willful misreading of testament and teaching: Jesus was made man and came to Earth in order to suffer and die in reparation for our sins. No race, no man, no priest, no governor, no executioner killed Jesus; he died by God's will to fulfill his purpose, and with our sins we all killed him."

If you're not familiar with Roger Ebert, you won't know that he is a very popular and respected critic in his field. His column will be read by hundreds of thousands of people in the Chicago area, most likely seen and heard on his syndicated TV show, and picked up by, potentially, millions via the internet.

And to me, that alone is sufficient justification for the movie.

PS- I have just received links to two more excellent articles concerning the movie and reaction to it, in the National Review Online. They are worth your time.