Friday, March 05, 2004



He really did...


I was pretty stressed. Wednesday night was kind of the culmination of two weeks of major activity. I came home from church feeling a little discouraged, and woke up Thursday morning feeling a lot discouraged. I didn't know what was going on at first. Fortunately I mentioned to my wife and she had the sense (wives are good that way) to ask me why. So I had to stop and listen to God.*

So He told me I was feeling this way because things had been so busy- not bad busy, just a lot He had me doing- and now the busyness was over and it was time to rest a bit. I headed for work, still tense and unsettled. At which point God told me to be late for work and go walk on the beach for awhile.

Yeah, I know- that's kinda' hard to believe. It took me a few minutes, too. But He was very insistent. So I drove out to the beach, took off my shoes and socks and rolled up my pants, and went for a walk. Wiggled my toes in the sand, walked in the surf a bit (brr, still), talked to the seagulls. Then He took me down a ways to a rock outcropping that the surf was washing around. I stood on it for awhile and we talked about how the rock was like His Spirit- how I could see parts of it, but I didn't know everything about it; how I could stand on it and the waves might get me wet but couldn't knock me off; how it held so many things together; how it sustained life.

So anyway, it was time to go. And that fixed the problem.

Some of this is from my break-

*Something I've been re-learning. A still, small voice that I have to be still and quiet to hear. Hmm...